Show mobile menu
Show search control
Show search control
Search Site

Information and Evidence needed for Claims

In order to process your Housing Benefit or Council Tax Support claim as quickly as possible, we need certain information and evidence from you to support your claim.

Remember when making a claim

  • Always provide evidence of your income and capital and any other relevant information
  • Always complete and send in your form as soon as possible
  • Always provide any evidence requested from you as soon as possible

You will be asked to provide identification for yourself along with proof of your National Insurance Number when making a new claim. 

Acceptable forms of proof of National Insurance Number

  • P45 or P60
  • Wage slip
  • Tax letter
  • DWP notification letter
  • RD3 National Insurance card

Acceptable forms of identification

  • Current valid passport
  • National Identity card issued by a European Economic Area member state
  • Full Driving Licence
  • UK Residence permit
  • Marriage certificate
  • Paid utility bill
  • Divorce or annulment papers
  • Certificate of employment in HM forces
  • Certificate of employment in the Merchant Navy
  • Wage slip from current employer
  • P714 (Tax Certificate)
  • Birth certificate
  • Life insurance policy
  • Benefit award letter from DWP
  • Medical card
  • Letter from solicitor, social worker, probation officer, doctor

Types of income proof we need

If you are in receipt of Income Support, Job Seekers Allowance (income based) or Pension Credits

What we needWhat you need to supply

Proof of income

Notification letter for your current award

If you are NOT in receipt of Income Support, Job Seekers Allowance (income based) or Pension Credits

What we need

What you need to supply

Proof of earnings

For each job - 5 weekly, 3 fortnightly or 2 monthly consecutive wage slips.  If you do not have these ask us for a 'employers certificate of earning'.  This must include a company stamp.

If you are self-employed - your last profit and loss accounts covering a 12 month period.  If you do not have these ask for a self employed form from us.

Proof of other income

State benefits and pension

Department for Works and Pension notification letter for the current award

Bank statement showing the payments going in

Occupational pension

Payslips / Pension slip notifications

Letter from your former employer

Tax Credits

Inland Revenue notification letter - ALL PAGES


Letter from Child Support Agency or a letter from payer

Other income

Letter showing the amount and frequency

Student grant / loan

Current grant / loan award letter including a full breakdown of the type of grant 

Child care payments

Receipts showing the amount of payments made, frequency of the payments and the childminder's OFSTED registration number

Proof of capital

Up to date bank statements covering the last 2 months. If you do not have these you can request a balance print out from your bank until your statements arrive but you must still provide them.
Share certificates 
National savings certifi cates 
Premium bonds 
Documentary evidence of any other type of capital

Second properties

Evidence of the current valuation and the amount of the


How would you rate the information on this page?

Rate as GoodRate as AverageRate as Poor