Show mobile menu
Show search control
Show search control
Search Site


Some trees are protected by legislation. In order to carry out certain works you will need to apply to the council for permission.

Tree Preservation Order

When the modern planning system was established under the Town and Country Planning Act 1947 local planning authorities retained their powers to protect trees and woodlands in the interests of amenity by making tree preservation orders. Over 70 years later tree preservation orders remain an important part of this system.

A tree preservation order (TPO) is an order made by a local planning authority (LPA) in respect of trees or woodlands. The principal effect of a TPO is to prohibit the:

  1. Cutting down
  2. Uprooting
  3. Topping
  4. Lopping
  5. Wilful Damage
  6. Wilful destruction

of trees without the LPA's consent. The cutting of roots, although not expressly covered in (1) - (4) above, is potentially damaging and so in the Secretary of State's view, requires the authority's consent.

When the Local Planning Authority makes a provisional TPO we write to the owner and nearby properties enclosing a copy of the order. If anyone wants to support or object to the order before it is confirmed (made permanent) they should write to the council within 28 days to say why. The planning committee members will take these comments into account when deciding whether to confirm the order.

There are rights of appeal against the decisions of the LPA.

If you want to know if permission has been granted to carry out work on a protected tree, check with the council. We keep a register of applications and decisions and this information is available to the public.

Trees in Conservation Areas

Trees in conservation areas which are already protected by a TPO are subject to the normal TPO controls. However, the Town and Country planning act also makes special provision for trees  in conservation areas which are not the subject of a TPO.

Under section 211 anyone proposing to cut down or carry out work on a tree in a conservation area is required to give the LPA six weeks' notice (a "section 211 notice"). The purpose of this requirement is to give the LPA an opportunity to consider whether a TPO should be made in respect of the tree (or trees).


You do not have to give the LPA six weeks notice:

  1. For cutting down trees in accordance with a felling license granted by the Forestry Commission.
  2. For work which is exempt from the requirement to apply for consent under a TPO e.g. removing dead wood etc.
  3. For work carried out by, or on behalf of the LPA (i.e. the council as a whole and not just its' planning department)
  4. For work on a tree with a diameter not exceeding 75 millimetres (or 100 millimetres if cutting down trees to improve the growth of other trees, i.e. thinning operations.

Apply to carry out Tree works

If you would like to apply to carry out work to a tree that is protected by a Tree Preservation Order or that is growing within a Conservation Area please use the following Tree Works Form to make an online application.  Please ensure that you read the guidance documents below before completing.  To see if a tree falls within a TPO, please use our online mapping system (please note, this is a very large file and may take time to load)


How would you rate the information on this page?

Rate as GoodRate as AverageRate as Poor